Ex star pitcher surrenders in case of journalist’s murder
SANTO DOMINGO.- Former Cincinnati Reds star pitcher Jose Rijo arrived mid Tuesday afternoon in the Justice Ministry, for questioning into alleged business dealings with the fugitive Matías Avelino Castro, wanted in the murder of the journalist Jose Silvestre.
A battery of reporters had waited for Rijo the entire morning at the Justice Ministry, where he finally arrived at 3 p.m.
Upon his arrival the 1990 World Series Most Valuable Player affirmed that he had made all his money “working hard,” and tried to justify it by showing six surgical scars on his right arm.
Rijo, who arrived accompanied by his lawyer Diego Babado Torres, said he has nothing to hide.
File.- The head of Dominican Republic’s Anti-money laundering Unit was fuming as he was leaving his office Tuesday, after former Cincinnati Reds star pitcher Jose Rijo again left him waiting despite being subpoenaed for questioning into a journalist’s murder.
The prosecutor wants to question the ex baseball player on his alleged business dealings with the fugitive Matias Avelino Castro, charged with killing the journalist Jose Silvestre in La Romana in September.
German Miranda said a warrant for Rijo’s arrest had already been issued and that it would be carried out today or tomorrow. “Here I have the arrest warrant, and we’re going to execute it, it could happen today or tomorrow. What we’re asking is that he turns himself in, not send a lawyer, because we have an arrest warrant and we will carry it out at any time.”
In a tone of frustration, Miranda said that law enforcement agencies have the warrant in their possession, but when asked if the ex star pitcher has fled the country, said “then I wish him luck and Merry Christmas.”