Local February 10, 2012 | 4:10 pm

Dominican Republic is key in Puerto Rico-US drug route, Efe reports

SAN JUAN.- Dominican Republic has become the storage point for drugs arriving in Puerto Rico from South America in the last decade, reports Efe, citing U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) interim director for the Caribbean on Friday.

Pedro Janer said since 2000 Dominican Republic’s position as center and bridge and storage of drugs destined to the Caribbean island has taken relevance. "Puerto Rico is a bridge in the circulation of drugs towards the United States, as the Dominican Republic is for the Caribbean island."

He noted that in spite of the role Dominican Republic plays in the Caribbean’s drug transfer, the DEA has total confidence in the work the National Drugs Control Agency carries out in that country.

Janer said nearly 5 percent of all the drug from South America which arrives in the United States enters via the Caribbean route, whereas the remaining 95 percent is smuggled across the Mexican border.

As to the Caribbean’s recent rise in the entrance of Colombian drug to the United States, the official said it’s the narcotics traffickers’ escape valve after the heightened control exerted along the Mexican border.

He said the U.S. federal authorities have increased their efforts in the war on drug trafficking in the area, thanks partly to the work by agencies that participate in the Caribbean Corridor Strike Force (CCSF).

The DEA official held a press conference in San Juan to provide information into a CCSF operation which seized 245 kilos of cocaine in Puerto Rico’s southwestern coast.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments