Tourism February 8, 2022 | 6:57 pm

The gringos cannot set the pace of tourism in the Dominican Republic

Gringo
[ gring-goh ]

noun, plural grin·gos. Slang: a term used in Latin America or Spain to refer to a foreigner, especially one of US or British descent (often used facetiously).

The United States is the primary source market and the most coveted by the tourism industry in the Dominican Republic. That is an obvious fact because it is verified by all the meters: they are the leaders in quantity and the first in quality.

Gone are the days when British and German tourists were the first to occupy the ranking of clients arriving in the eastern part of the country. Today that is merely history with regard to today’s tourism situation and, although it must always be kept in mind, you cannot live in the past.

The new reality is based on objective data and well-founded and contrasted statistics, constantly at odds with the points of view and analysis of politicians and authorities of any party. But unfortunately, politicians and officials usually present these references according to their convenience, mostly without objectivity or accuracy.

Taking for granted that the US market is the most desired because it is profitable, the Dominican tourism industry cannot always be stressed with the threats of the gringos: what is the situation with deaths, crime, and COVID?

Since we are talking about statistics, the percentage of deaths from alcohol, citizen insecurity, and viruses is much higher in the United States than in the Dominican Republic. The COVID numbers in the USA, for example, are alarming.

The Americans demonstrated their strength as a country by being the first to manufacture the most reliable vaccines in record time. However, they are the ones that lead the infections in the most prosperous countries, the most opposed to vaccines, and the most opposed to the third dose.

A powerful lobby in the USA is what the tourism industry and the country need to counteract the intimidating offensive of the northern neighbor. It is vital more than any other promotional activity. We need the gringos, but without them setting our industry’s pace.

Article originally appeared in arecoa.com By LV.

2.5 38 votes
Article Rating

53 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Senor Beard
February 8, 2022 11:23 pm

the vaccines are a failure . be an independent country Americans will be there . don’t listen to Biden

Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 4:57 pm
Reply to  Senor Beard

You’re just another butthurt science denying Trump chump still smarting over the @$$ kicking Joe gave your man crush. Let’s go Darwin

Fed
February 9, 2022 8:02 pm
Reply to  Senor Beard

Not only a failure it’s also a fraud it usually takes 10 to 15 year for any vaccine how come this one came out in a year and have 1 2 3 doses

perla
February 9, 2022 4:31 am

Brazilian do not believe in the experimental vacina.
de Liv e tô travel. we Will lead to travel to DR, beautiful and wonderful resorts all inclusive in punta cana if the restrictions are the same of CANCUN where the minimum stay is 14-days (forteen days) and then brazilian Will go tô Miami. DR could be the Hub for brazilian turistas,
think as a hawk.

Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 4:58 pm
Reply to  perla

The experimental vaccine that has had a billion doses in arms around the planet? (words eliminated)

February 9, 2022 7:21 am

😆 🤣 😂…dominicans have no clue…as to their little island..a dumb and very offensive article..

Spanish fly1
February 9, 2022 8:32 am

The Gringos always setting up restrictions as to why not to travel to the D.R. But yet their territory is in shambles.

Gone are the days when the USA was the bench mark for intergraty.

Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 4:59 pm
Reply to  Spanish fly1

The US is in a shambles? LMAO

Vac
February 16, 2022 11:50 am
Reply to  Gdrkn

You obviously don’t live here in the US. YOUR emaciated, half wit, man crush is driving us into the dirt. And it is experimental, and we are the experiment. Well that is unless you count all the testing done in Africa over the years, since there has been Sars and HIV shots being played with there for over 20 years. But what does that have to do with anything, right?

Fed
February 9, 2022 8:07 pm
Reply to  Spanish fly1

You guys have to understand the US lost China and even they put that lady as vice presidente to brings India on board the whole world already know what the US is about so no other country will buy they except DR cause they stupid

Drfinest
February 9, 2022 10:07 pm
Reply to  Spanish fly1

Am Dominican do yu know there’s 2 million Dominican Americans who live in the us stop talking like that about our second home bro please yur making this division here and it’s wrong defend America even if there’s racist Americans still love them because that’s how they will learn to love brother peace ✌🏼

Pat
February 10, 2022 12:21 am
Reply to  Drfinest

The term gringo is racist and I have found the most racist country to be the Dominican Repuplic. However, each person is an individual and should not be lumped into a group. I have many Dominican friends and I accept them for who they are, where their beliefs come from and I do not let their differences divide me or anger me. I accept the differences in everybody. I think we need better leaders, not dividers.

felix the cat
February 10, 2022 10:30 am
Reply to  Pat

Good that you know spanish so well that you can say if sometghing is racist or not. White americans in their ethernal persuit of victimhood have decided that the word gringo is racist, even when spanish speackers do not. lol

whitedominicancunao
February 16, 2022 12:01 pm
Reply to  Pat

My wife is Dominican, and she is from there. I am white, like White White. When I go I am not staying at a resort, and I have never had anyone treat me in any way that I felt was racially discriminate, and I am far from a tourist. I have been treated like family from everyone I have met. Minus being eyed up as a target a few times, but that is the same in any major city here or there.

JayT
February 9, 2022 11:10 am

It’s funny how this is coming out when the pandemic is ending.

Drfinest
February 9, 2022 10:10 pm

Agree the article has the gringo word but gringos can be black or white or blue , we don’t mean disrespect by it so please if yu feel offended I apologize on behalf of our country we love America and there’s 2 million Dominican Americans residing in the us so again if the article is offensive I apologize this dude is an idiot

Fulano
February 9, 2022 7:58 am

It is obvious the author of this article does not understand the difference between absolute numbers and percentages 120,000 vs [email protected]). The POSITIVITY RATE, namely how many PCR tests are positive out each 100 tests in the US has ailways been much lower.

Carlos
February 9, 2022 9:22 am
Reply to  Fulano

Fulano you truly right

Emilio Morales
February 9, 2022 8:06 am

Your writing is muddle and confusing!

Manny
February 9, 2022 10:42 am

Indeed, it’s been ironic that the US relinquished itself from leading by the privilege of their advanced technology, yet failed in front of the opportunity. None can’t deny the factors that played a role, with not enough verifiable medical technology. I disagree with the premise that Dominican population has fair better without including the statistical data, the one matching city versus rural population. Your opinion alone is empty words.

Last edited 11 months ago by Manny
Manny
February 9, 2022 10:53 am

Moreover, by DR having no virus testing processes, prior to this subject, when the pandemic was raging for the sake of economic growth and allowing tourists into the island, the DR government failed too. Gambling with the health of the tax payer population was the wrong approach. Health always comes first. No health means no production. Everything is connected to a healthy society.

Adam Clare
February 9, 2022 10:54 am

When I was there in January, there was more Russian tourists then American. And I’m canadian.

Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 5:00 pm
Reply to  Adam Clare

Russian tourists are not going to pay the bills

Manny
February 9, 2022 10:55 am

Please include verifiable sources and verifiable updated statistics to give you the benefit of the doubt.

JayT
February 9, 2022 11:06 am

What ever happened to the customer knows best.
Having an bad attitude against those who feed you is never a good approach.

Wade McCallum
February 9, 2022 12:00 pm

This jd a dumb article. “GRINGOS” are foreigners. So if Gringos can’t set the pace what people are left to go to the Dominican?

Gringo does not mean Americans. Fyi.

Aly
February 9, 2022 12:16 pm

Very poorly writen article👎to constantly refer to Americans as gringos is some what offensive. The statistics are not correct. What is actually the point of this article?

C Rogers
February 9, 2022 12:28 pm

This author has legitimate points, but I can’t get past how blatantly racists it is. I’m a white American tourist. This article says that I am not welcome in DR when I ask about my own safety of where I want to travel, but yet at the same time I am a needed “gringo” to support an economy. Thankfully this is not the feeling I received when I was last in DR. I believe as a tourist of any race, of any culture, you have a choice of where you want to travel, spend your money and support that local economy. After reading this article I am questioning if I ever will return to DR. This “gringo” has many more places to explore in the world and will look for more welcoming options.

Elizabeth Conroy
February 9, 2022 7:06 pm
Reply to  C Rogers

Dear C Rogers and others
Remember that a reporter can write whatever he wants, whether the facts are right or twisted. Just like in the USA. All I want to add, as a dominican American, and as a seasoned traveler, is that, you have already been here, and seems like you had a great time. So your next visit, should be based on what you experienced here, not in what an article writer says. And of course, do your research from more than one source. American dollars are still the best anywhere, last time I checked.
I, personally, am encountering more Russian and Polish tourists especially on the north coast
( Samana to Monte Cristy), which I find more interesting and scenic-outside the resorts.
So please, keep coming back if you enjoyed your stay. And if you have never been here, come and check it out… just as a closing note, if I listened to what a lot of people say about India, I’d have never gone there the first time. I have traveled 3 times there, and still find it one of the most amazing places in earth!

Jdp
February 10, 2022 12:46 am

Just go and check martha Stewart article about the Dominican Republic… contrast from this article shame on this page!

Drfinest
February 9, 2022 9:45 pm
Reply to  C Rogers

Yur right , what’s wrong with yu knowing what’s going on in our country who cares if the us is worse yur paying yur money yu have the right to know am Dominican we welcome yu all please this dude ITS NOT AREAL EDITOR HES MORE OF A COPY AND PASTe dude and he can’t even do that correctly we love America and we respect you all Please don’t goto Jamaica lmao am jk don’t pay attention to this shit it’s all bs WE AS DOMINICANS LOVE YOU ALL

Pat
February 10, 2022 12:25 am
Reply to  C Rogers

Great comment. Let’s go to Mexico! I heard it is awesome and even more affordable.

Max Lopez sr
February 9, 2022 12:33 pm

To the person or persons which had wrote this article, every time you used the word Gringo , we con not respect your article,you are demonstrating your ignorance, please observed the proper protocol and respect,and you will received on return

Andrea Giraldez
February 9, 2022 1:58 pm

What an absolutely ridiculous and poorLY written article. Unprofessional and OFFENSIVE. Awful.

felix the cat
February 9, 2022 4:30 pm

“the intimidating offensive of the northern neighbor” many americanos are not aware how its goverment use travel advisories and black lists to bully countries into submission for political gain. The US goverment has been in an open campaign for quite sometime bullying and blackmailing DR. the more the economic dependendency from the US the more brutal their manipulations. It is of upmost importance for the DR to diversify its economy as to not depend so much of such a mischievous economic partner.

Last edited 11 months ago by felix the cat
Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 5:03 pm
Reply to  felix the cat

The DR is a mere spec on the globe and not a major concern or priority of the richest most powerful nation in the history of the planet. Get over yourselfs

Lilz
February 9, 2022 8:07 pm
Reply to  felix the cat

Dominicans are not a worldly bunch. Let’s face it, people American and Europeans alike go there because it’s cheap. I myself am of Dominican descent and live in NYC. It’s a quick trip. Resorts are cheap and safe. People want to feel safe walking around not being called gringos and being mocked and beggars all over the place. For a couple of hundred dollars more, I’d rather go somewhere with real culture and manners.

your mom
February 10, 2022 11:17 am
Reply to  Lilz

funny how you turned a complete unrelated article into a selfhating tirade. LOL
Get help.

factsrule
February 16, 2022 12:11 pm
Reply to  Lilz

Maybe you should try visiting sometime. There is a strong culture and people are well mannered. I would rather go there and its safer than dirty ass, overpopulated NYC. Talk about a lack of manners, I hate NY and it’s overwhelmingly rushed and rude populace .

factsrule
February 16, 2022 12:06 pm
Reply to  felix the cat

Yeah Im pretty sure the US gave like 25 Million USD right in the beginning of the pandemic and more $$ later. That was to keep your country playing along with the Grand Scheme.

your mom
February 18, 2022 11:33 am
Reply to  factsrule

Dude 25 millions is nothing, lol not even to buy toilet papaer, you think thats enought to sway anyhing ? how naive.

Lil penis John Smith jr
February 9, 2022 4:47 pm

I’m glad I’m dominican, we winnin

Gdrkn
February 9, 2022 5:02 pm

Winning? What exactly are you winning? The race to the bottom?

Drfinest
February 9, 2022 10:04 pm
Reply to  Gdrkn

Dude am so sorry if yu found this article offensive the gringo word I even get it a lot and am Dominican born in America so am an American and i understand we’re yur coming from but we don’t mean enything by that word , if yur black in alot of Latin America countries is okay to call some one negro, because Theres no actual disrespect behind it we don’t see like that I get it in the us theres this whole history it’s not like that here so the gringo word I get the word a lot to and Iam not white brother please I don’t want you to feel like that , we love Americans here alot and we have Nuthing but love and respect for our American brothers and sisters no matter who or what yu look like ON BEHALF OF OUR COUNTRY I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE TO YOU IF YU FEEL DISRESPECTED , THIS Article is not a reflection of who we are ITS NOT AT ALL SO PLEASE LOVE ALWAYS

Bobby Maurone
February 9, 2022 5:14 pm

It’s a fair read, as a citizen of the United States 🇺🇸 I respect the fact that I am a visitor in another country and we should never drive another country.

Drfinest
February 9, 2022 9:57 pm
Reply to  Bobby Maurone

We love America yu guys rock my socks 💯💯💯💯

John
February 9, 2022 9:26 pm

Whoever wrote this article should be fired. It’s racist and doesn’t have the reliable facts.

Coolbreeze
February 9, 2022 9:31 pm

Gringos? It’s obvious that the author of this article is racist towards Americans.

Locke
February 10, 2022 12:53 am
Reply to  Coolbreeze

Americans aren’t a race…unless you are the racist one that is assuming American just means whites….mmm interesting.

Pat
February 10, 2022 12:14 am

First of all, ignorance is showing when reading this article. I usually would not spend my time on this stupidity. Gringo, really! Get with the times. Gringo/Aericana/Canadian. We “the gringos” are educated, using our brains and asking questions when things just do not make sense. The Government is not our God and yet many have chosen the government to follow
as their god and are doing as they are told. They are like mechanical robots believing everything . The media only follows the agenda and is not following the science. You get shut down for questioning them and actually thinking past the end of your nose, you are brought down and punished. So, wake up and do everybody
a favor. Stop lining the pockets of the dirty politicians and thinking they give a crap about you. It is all about them and their power. Stop thinking they care and just keep that in the back of your mind, that is, if you still have a mind. Peace to all. I’m out.

samuel
February 10, 2022 10:03 am

For Dominican Today to cut and paste an op-ed piece from another publication that has a negative racial slur in it and present it as a news piece is another sterling example of the very low standards of professionalism that are exhibited by Dominican Today. This is not the first of such examples of just being bad at what you think you do but sadly only part of a continuing track record of poor decisions and hack journalism.

Aly
February 10, 2022 1:36 pm

A noun, a plural or slang is a text book definition for gringos from the time of Columbus. There is more to that in modern times. Please author of the article you can refer to us as americans, north americans or people from the US. Stop insulting us.

Senor Tranquillio
February 11, 2022 9:15 pm

Respect Greatness !!! Respect the United States of America !!!