Dominican Republic reports no new cases of cholera
Santo Domingo.- The Public Health Ministry affirmed Sunday that no new cases of cholera were reported during the weekend that began Friday, when six people were sent to the hospital. It said the number of people affected to date remains at 139, all of whom have been treated and released.
It said the last reported cases were in towns of the provinces Dajabón (northwest), San Juan and Elias Piña (southwest), where it shut down two springs in the town Pedro Santana, on suspicion that their waters had been the source of a breakout.
As part of the prevention efforts, president Leonel Fernandez himself headed the launch of a campaign to prevent and control the disease, with the participation of as many as 5,000 volunteers.
Of the confirmed cases, 70% are men; 56% range between the ages of 15 and 49, and 20% are below the age of 15.