Assets in US$100M Medicare fraud split US 80-Dominican 20
Santo Domingo. – The head of the Justice Ministry’s Money Laundering Unit on Tuesday said the properties seized from the Cuban-born Benítez brothers will be appraised and sold, to repatriate 80% of the capital to the United States and the country keeps the remaining 20%, according to the agreement signed with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder Monday.
German Miranda said the money that will remain in the country will be from the auctions of a 10,000 square meter lot in Higüey, two apartments in the posh Malecon Center, a fleet of vehicles and the Singapore, one of the hundreds of “motels” across the country used for sexual interludes.
He said the money will be used in areas such as the penitentiary system, the training of prosecutors, victims and witnesses protection program, among others.
The Benitez brothers are wanted in the U.S. on a Medicare fraud of more than US$100.0 million.