TV mogul to spend 3 months in jail on battery case(Update)
Santo Domingo. – TV mogul Francisco Antonio Jorge Elias (Frank) will spend three months in a San Pedro de Macorix jail to await trial on battery charges filed by his wife, Sandra Kurdas.
The former Minister of Tourism, who owns Super Canal 33 TV, will be held in jail, according to the ruling handed down by judge José Alejandro Vargas.
FILE. TV mogul Francisco Antonio Jorge Elias (Frank) will go before a National District judge charged with battery by his wife of more than 30 years, and faces up to one year in jail to await trial.
Jorge’s estranged wife, former beauty queen Sandra Kurdas charged him of beating her in June 11 last year, and of having kept her in a virtual state of kidnapping where she couldn’t even leave her house.
Jorge’s lawyer Ramon Pina complained that the charges would be read even before the business leader was interviewed. Prominent attorney Vinicio Castillo Seman, who said he’s a friend of the accused, agrees that prosecutors should interview him first.
Kurdas said June 11 was the last time that a serious beating took place, forcing her to escape to her relatives in Miami.
She arrived accompanied by Justice Ministry Domestic Violence director Sandra Villa, to be is interviewed by the Office of the National District Prosecutor. Kurdas was Miss Ohio in 1975, and holds a medical degree.
The case is being heard by Permanent Attention judge Alejandro Vargas, and Jorge could face three months incarceration, as in most domestic violence cases.