On pardons for party rivals, opposition leader says “case closed”
Santo Domingo.- The president of Dominican Republic’s major opposition party (PRD) on Thursday rejected yet another reunification proposal reported by the media, by the faction controlled by former president Hipolito Mejia, and instead suggested they submit them to the party’s offices instead.
Miguel Vargas said the fact that Mejia and Andres Bautista were expelled, while Orlando Jorge and Geanilda Vasquez are suspended, prevents them from taking part in the PRD’s activities.
He repeated a warning made earlier this week that a pardon or amnesty is "case closed" as long as he’s president of the PRD and its presidential candidate for the 2016 election.
Despite Vargas’ position, the heads of Mejia’s faction met yesterday with the group of mediators to take a proposal to solve the months-long standoff.