Dominican government says Haiti reneged on pact, scrubs talks
Santo Domingo.- Presidency chief of staff Gustavo Montalvo on Wednesday announced the Dominican Government’s decision not to attend the planned meeting with its Haiti counterpart in Venezuela.
"We feel that the Haitian Government has broken the agreement that we signed last week, which prioritized the dialogue between the two countries to find solutions to any issue on our joint agenda, and therefore we will not attend the meeting. Haiti has chosen to take another route and that puts an end to our conversations, at this time," Montalvo said the Minister.
The meeting, slated to take place next Saturday November 30 in Caracas, was called to find ways to halt the spread of the fallout from the controversial ruling on nationality handed down by Dominican Republic’s Constitutional court.
The official also hailed the Venezuela Government’s decision to facilitate the dialogue between the two nations that share the island of Hispaniola.