Local January 9, 2014 | 7:21 am

Haiti official doubts Dominican Republic’s plan for immigrants

Santo Domingo.- Haiti Foreign minister Pierre-Richard Casimir yesterday said that during the binational commission meeting held in Ouanaminthe Tuesday, his country noted that Dominican Republic’s regularization plan won’t reverse the statelessness of Dominicans of Haitian descent prompted by the Dominican Constitutional Court ruling.

In a press conference at Haiti Government headquarters Casimir said that was their position during the talks with the Dominican delegation, which he affirms promised the passing of a new law to "solve the problem."

He said the plan, to be implemented during 18 months, aims to regularize the status of undocumented foreigners living in Dominican Republic.

The official added that the Haitian delegation will "observe" Dominican Republic’s actions in the talks slated to continue o Feb. 3 in the town of Jimani (west) "If there’s no change in the agenda."

Meanwhile, Haiti Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe yesterday promised to promote the agreements reached by Haiti and Dominican Republic, a day after representatives from both countries met to resume the talks suspended last year.

"Thank you Minister of the Presidency for the open and frank dialogue yesterday. We will strive to materialize these accomplishments," tweeted Lamothe.

0 0 votes
Article Rating

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments