High cost forces Medina to scrub his pledged road
Santo Domingo.- The Presidency’s administrative minister on Tuesday announced that president Danilo Medina’s Administration will not build the controversial cross-mountain road because of its high cost of around US$$500 million.
José Ramón Peralta said Medina had met with the bishops to inform them of the decision, noting out that it would be irresponsible for the government to embark on a work of that magnitude at this time.
Public Works minister Gonzalo Castillo recently said work on the Santiago-San Juan de la Maguana (Cibao-Sur) road would start no later than August.
The official said Medina, after receiving all proposals, flew over the road’s proposed route twice and became aware that its cost was too high. "It would be irresponsible for this Government to assume that investment, because it would overwhelm the initial plans."
The construction of the road had been one of Medina’s few campaign promises.