Human rights ruling faces mounting rebuke in Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo.- National Dominican business associations (FEFAC) president Jhovanny Leyba on Sunday said they support the government’s categorical rebuke of the of Inter-American Human Rights Court’s (IACHR) ruling.
He said the government conducted lengthy and extensive consultations which led to Law 169-14 on nationality.
The business leaders join a growing number of sectors which have voiced rejection to the court ruling, including lawmakers and political parties.
The Dominican government last week rejected the IACHR ruling which condemns the country for violating various rights in deportations.
Presidency spokesperson Roberto Rodriguez Marchena reiterated the government’s rejection to the ruling. "The Dominican people and government, once again consider it (the ruling) unacceptable and impossible."
He tweeted that for the Dominican government and the people, to violate provisions of the Dominican State, "is unacceptable."