More than 300 security cameras to be installed in Boca Chica to combat crime
Press conference on surveillance cameras in Boca Chica
BOCA CHICA.- The Boca Chica Municipal Council announced an agreement with the communication company Tele Imagen Satelital to install 300 surveillance and security cameras throughout the fiber optic cable company operated by the company in the different neighborhoods, sectors, and surrounding areas of the municipality.
The signing of the agreement took place between Mayor Fermín Brito Rincón and Mr. Vinicio Peña, president-owner of the communication company, during a ceremony in one of the halls of the municipal town hall. Also present were representatives of various sectors and representatives of the community.
“Today has been an important day for the municipality of Boca Chica; this will strengthen the services offered by the city, said the mayor.
Fermín Brito said there are 148 square kilometers of fiber optics installed throughout the municipality, plus the internet. In addition, the company will allow the city to install security cameras to combat and prevent criminal acts.
The mayor of Boca Chica explained that in this first stage, more than three hundred surveillance and security cameras would be installed, with a monitoring center established in the City Hall, which will have excellent recording logistics to be able to identify the facts that are made to the detriment of the citizenship.
“With this important tool for security, we seek to strengthen the police surveillance controls and collaborate with the law enforcement institution to have greater ease for the surveillance against crime throughout the municipal coast of Boca Chica,” said the municipal mayor.
For his part, businessman Vinicio Peña was pleased to collaborate with the donation of his fiber optic space and the use of the internet provided by his company to fight crime throughout the municipality of Boca Chica through the installation of security cameras.
“We are always ready to collaborate with whatever is of benefit to this community, we are at the entire disposal of the local authorities in order to contribute to lower crime and violence in this municipality of Boca Chica,” said the media entrepreneur who is also the owner of Canal Boca Chica TV-3 and Teleimagen Satelital.
Seriously. I met my fiance in boca chica. A lot of decent business owners and bars. a beach with huge influx of visitors on sat/sun…no one wants to venture off the beach area, the restaurants on the beach take advantage of you, the people on the streets take advantage, tour people take advantage….some decent little italian eating spots, haitian/dominican local eat spots. too much crime/beggin/trash on the street for a potential gold mine of potential for the area.
I used to go there every year because of the location close to the airport but it has become such a dump. Even during COVID in Dec 2020 it was nicer than it was the one day I went back in August. There is literally so much potential in that town to make money. Having a nice beach practically a stone’s throw away from an international airport should print money for the town but I think tourists are fed up with locals constantly trying to hustle them and the crime especially. I remember first going in 2014 and the entire street was lively at night and full of people. It is now a shell of its former self and you cannot blame COVID as towns like Cabarete has bounced back just fine. Clean up the streets and building figuratively and literally.
The best investment is to provide more social services directly to to people who need it. 25% of the population has nothing : another 25 % are just surviving . That leaves 50% who have all the money. What are they doing for the 50% who need help ?
This will help at first. However, as most projects like this face the risks of: government corruption, money spent on equipment of poor quality, little or no maintenance, theft of equipment, and disinterested operation. 24/7?
There should be two monitoring locations, not one, reason being if the system at one spot fails the other is the working spare . They act as a check and balance to each other and prevents blind eye disease.
They should put a camera in the fiscal’s office in boca chica,
This was tried in a smaller way in Zona Colonial and was not a success for a variety of reasons. This area will never be safe because there is easy prey there. Peter Harris writes correctly that this is a country of haves and have nots but his percentages are way out .More than 75% of the people are scratching around for basic food ,water, lights. clothing and shelter. The other 25% do not care a damn .It is not a mature country where the poor and needy are cared for.