Jump in businesses gives the ‘Zone’ a different beat
Santo Domingo.- Colonial City Tourism Promotion Program coordinator Maribel Villalona on Sun. provided some figures on the results of the ambitious renovation project, and stressed the growing number of businesses, the restoration of historic sites and the arrival of cruise ships, “which have given a different rhythm to the ‘Zone.”
By the numbers:
– The pedestrian El Conde street went from 14 A / B businesses in 2015, to 31 in 2017
– 83% of investors in the Colonial Zone are Dominican, 14% are foreign, 4% have dual citizenship
– Temporary accommodation services have gone from 56 to 70 between 2015 and 2017
– The Colonial City accounts for 8,400 jobs, of which 1,232 have been created during the course of the Program.
– The arrival of cruise ships have skyrocketed 100%
– 80% of the investment in contracted works goes to Dominican companies.