Local March 1, 2012 | 7:48 am

The US barred general close to Dominican leader, The Miami Herald says

Santo Domingo.- newspaper The Miami Herald reports that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) impeded general Hector Medina Medina from entering that country for having a cancelled visa.

The newspaper, citing a State Department source, said Medina’s case is the target of a criminal investigation and the head of president Leonel Fernandez’s security detail was blocked from entering US territory at least once last year, but didn’t specify the date or port of entry.

Titled “Dominican generals tied to drugs lose U.S. travel visas,” the report also confirms the cancellation of the visa of retired general Manuel de Jesus Florentino Florentino. “Generals Florentino and Florentino and Medina, lost their visas on suspicious of drug trafficking and corruption,” The Miami Herald citing an unnamed senior State Department official.

“Washington’s efforts to combat narco-corruption in the region reached the highest levels of government in the Dominican Republic, where two military generals close to the president lost their visas to travel to the United States due to alleged ties to drug traffickers.”

0 0 votes
Article Rating

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments