Local May 21, 2026

Prosecutors seek preventive detention for migration inspector in alleged airport bribery case

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on WhatsApp
Prosecutors seek preventive detention for migration inspector in alleged airport bribery case

Santo Domingo.- The Public Prosecutor’s Office of the Dominican Republic requested preventive detention against a migration inspector accused of demanding money from a foreign passenger at Las Américas International Airport in an alleged bribery case.

Authorities identified the suspect as Albert Isaac Pérez Ferreras, an inspector with the General Directorate of Migration, who was arrested in flagrante delicto on May 17 after allegedly requesting US$200 from a Spanish citizen and his companion in exchange for allowing them to enter the country.

According to the investigation, Pérez Ferreras claimed the passengers intended to remain in the Dominican Republic for three months, exceeding the permitted stay period, and therefore had to pay a supposed immigration penalty. The travelers reportedly told the inspector they had previously entered the country without any such charges.

The prosecution states that when the Spanish passenger explained he only had US$70 available, the inspector allegedly agreed to accept the lower amount and instructed him to place the cash inside his passport. Surveillance footage from the airport’s CCTV system reportedly captured the exchange of money and the interaction between the accused and the passengers.

The request for coercive measures was filed before the Santo Domingo East Coordinating Office of the Courts of Instruction by Mirna Ortiz, head of the Specialized Prosecutor’s Office for the Prosecution of Administrative Corruption (Pepca), along with prosecutors Yoneivy González, Ernesto Guzmán Alberto, and Elizabeth Paredes Ramírez.

The Public Prosecutor’s Office said the case was referred by the General Directorate of Migration, where Pérez Ferreras had worked since 2022. As an immigration control inspector, his responsibilities included supervising the entry and exit of passengers while adhering to principles of legality, transparency, and ethics in public service.

Prosecutors indicated that the case is supported by documentary, testimonial, audiovisual, and material evidence, including video recordings submitted by Migration authorities. Pérez Ferreras is accused of violating Article 146 of the Dominican Constitution and several provisions of the Penal Code related to corruption and bribery.

Authorities confirmed that the investigation remains ongoing.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Paul Tierney
2 hours ago

This is not a first time of bribery at the airport. One has to ask with all the information passengers have to provide officials to verify their passage that some people with questionable character and/or crimes are waved through. Somehow, large personalities under official restraint seem to slip through the cracks in and out of the country to escape the hands of the law when the press, the media, has published their unlawful activities. It is a no-brainer the screeners know them but are provided favors to have blinders on.